When I was reading Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye of Redeemed Christians Church of God (RCCG) Daily Devotional this morning sent to me by a pastor, it occurred to me that I wrote only few posts on HEALTH and HEALING. It is not that I don’t know the importance of HEALTH; I just decided to leave it for the experts to treat.
This reminds me of a young man that always got sick when he was young. Everyone thought he was sickle celled. The doctors ran series of test to determine what had actually gone wrong. It was a surprise for everyone that was with the patient to hear that his case was not sickle cell anaemia.
The doctor said many wrong practices might be the cause. Among which are:
1. Neglecting Personal Hygiene: Taking one’s bath regularly, washing of one’s clothing when they are dirty, washing of underwear for both male and female frequently, if possible daily all constitute to sound health. You might claim you know this before, but many due to many uncontrollable factors don’t practise it.
2. Uncleanliness of the environment: This is very important. How clean our environment is contributes a lot to our healthy living. We need clean and fresh air, if it is so, why do we burn refuses here and there adding more carbon monoxide to the one from a heavily industrialized cities. We know mosquitoes are deadly and yet waters are left in open buckets all around for many days around our neighbourhoods. Why are you willingly breeding mosquitoes that can sell to you a disease that was deadlier than HIV/AIDS? The type and cleanliness of the toilet also come to play here.
3. Wrong Feeding Habits: Many eat unbalanced diets not because they don’t have the money but because of lack of knowledge. They do it because of some particular types of food inherited from past generations. Ask dieticians, they would tell you every home needs a workable food timetable. Even when it comes to water that God has given us sufficiently, some don’t know the minimum quantity they need to drink per day and at what time. You need to drink a lot of water per day and you drink high percentage of it between early morning and mid day. Don’t also for get to eat a lot of FRUITS, if possible daily.
4. Rough Play: Many children and teenagers, even some adults indulge in a kind of play that can damage their bones and sometimes their internal organs. For a healthy living, there is a need to desist from this act.
5. Indecent Practices: Practices like overeating, fighting, and sex indulgence at a young age can lead to unhealthy life. We should learn to always do things at the right time and controllably.
6. Self medication: This is a form of drug abuse but many people don’t agree with this fact. That aside, it is better we don’t use drug at all, if our faith has grown to that level or we take only prescribed drugs. An expert even said, “Taking of common drugs that you think are not harmful and that you think can take in any quantity you wish is not a good practice health wise.”
7. Negligence of Exercise and Rest: There is need to exercise regularly and moderately; and also rest should also be observed daily and moderately. Too much of everything is bad! Too much of exercise is like a rough play while too much of rest is tantamount to laziness.
If all these factors can be watched and dealt with in the right way, we have done a large percentage of our own part of the health deal, and God would actually take care of His own part. I wish you health all the days of your life. Thanks for reading.