In one of my articles – Repositioning Nigeria –, one of the solutions stated there in repositioning Nigeria is to: take responsibility for our own repositioning and ranking amidst the great nations of the world.
How can the citizens of this country take responsibility to make Nigeria great in this democratic period?
- The government should live up to the task of fulfilling all the promises made during their manifesto. The manifesto is an instrument to be filed, and which reference is made to from time to time to actually see whether the government is delivering her promises. It is an important document, it is the instrument that won the votes of the electorates, hence, it should be treated sacredly.
- The government of the day should allow the opposition party to have input in their administration. Opposition is good! It makes you wise to know how to move forward. Governance is a team a work. Input from every quarter should be given consideration.
- People in government should also listen to the masses. Leaders are just representative of the masses in any democratic setting; hence, they should be responsible in that area by listening to the voices of the spectators. The players on the field, sometimes, might not know what they are doing wrongly!
- All other stakeholders in government should rise up to their task. The president and his vice cannot do it all alone. A tree has never made a forest! All other arms of government should make sure that their solidarity ever stands for the executive.
- Don’t let us use the better part of the 4-year tenure in planning. Planning is good, but you don’t waste a lot of time on planning. Have a plan, start working with it, and make an amendment if there is need along the way.
- The masses should take their position in governing of the state. Democracy is the government of the people, by the people, and for the people. The aspect of government, “by the people” is very crucial. Don’t let us conclude that after our voting as electorates, we have done our own part. No! It doesn’t end there. People must speak. Public opinion is one of the instruments that serve as feedback to the government to cut down their excesses.
- Industrialization and provision of social amenities has been, from the time immemorial, one way in which every great country progresses. We can never spend enough to industrialize the country. It would help in solving the problems of unemployment, and would also help in provision of infrastructural facilities. This would in turn increase the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of the country, which would boost our image in the international arena and community.
Happy Democracy Day to all Nigerians this day, May 29!