If “God’s Generals” by Roberts Liardon is to be re-written, there is no doubt that late Billy Graham would be included.
Some of what I gained from his life are:
1. I am made to know that while Satan is a defiler, Jesus is a healer.
2. I am made to know that God’s angels can help, but the war for our destiny is a personal responsibility that we must win.
3. Any sacrifice you made to God (directly) or humans (indirectly to God) is never in vain. John Dowie sold his home and furnishings to finance God’s work, but there came in place of them men and women that were brought to the feet of Jesus. After land, men and women are all you need to succeed in life!
4. Sin causes much of the sicknesses and diseases, therefore, a strong stance on morals (though salvation is necessary) usually goes with a strong healing ministry.
John Alexander Dowie’s Mistakes
There is no perfect man or woman on earth, what we need to do is to continue to work on ourselves by the help of the Holy Spirit, and by learning from the lives of the saints of the old. Hence, since John is a man like us, some of the mistakes he made in life were recorded:
1. His participation in politics. Anything God has chosen for you (Calling) or you have chosen for yourself (profession), concentrate and be focus on it. You can learn a little of everything, but you have to be an expert in just only one to prevent career failure.
2. During his ministry in California, he met Maria Woodworth-Etter, the great woman healing evangelist. Dowie denounced Maria’s method of ministry, which was a tragic mistake on his part. The best way to help remove the negative sides of others is to focus on their positives!
3. John never rested. I think we all know the importance of rest? This is another costly mistake he made in life. Had it been he was not criticising Maria, she would have told him.
4. John took counsel from no one except in minor matters.
All these mistakes caused his untimely death!
Note: John Alexander ( May 25, 1847 – March 9, 1907) was from Scotland.
Notwithstanding, John Alexander Dowie rose to become a ‘General’ in his calling. Are you ready to give it what it takes to become a general in your calling or chosen profession?
Have you heard about Julie Wang, an ‘adwoman’ that determined to become the best pilot ever? If you have listened to her interview on CGTN, you will agree with me she has made it.
© Peter Adewumi
Image Credit: Pexels
Salvation still remains the number one condition to enjoy God’s blessings here on earth and to make it to heaven.
If you think you need salvation, it’s as simple as ABC.
- Accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour, and receive Him into your life (John 1:12a).
- Believe unto righteousness with your heart (John 1:12c, Romans 10:10a).
- Confess with your mouth. With the mouth, confession is made unto salvation (Romans10:10b).
You’re now born again! If you need counselling about life and how to grow in grace, visit a living church near your house.
Best wishes and regards!